Friday, April 08, 2005

 

The Evil of Modern Television or Get rid of 'Reality' TV

Being an avid TV fan almost my whole life, from the time I was able to reach up and change the channel dial on the set (am I showing my age by admitting I have been around longer than remotes were common?). For the most part television has been a good thing. I kinda think of that Simpsons ep when Homer is calmed only by the presence of the precious television "friend, lover, confidante", at least I think that's the way it went. You know the ep, I'm sure.
But over the past decade or so, an evil and insidious force has rudely intrudued its way into that once great medium. I speak, of course of that darkest of the dark forces known as 'reality' television.
Why, oh why, in the name of all that is holy and sacred in the multiverse, do the networks, in both Australia and America, keep on coming out with these wastes of space called 'reality' shows? Why do they seem to be taking precedence over real TV shows? Sure, I can almost understand the high ratings, the pumping out of any old crap in the first couple years of the 'reality' craze. The novelty value alone would've put the ratings up high, but now, after a number of years has gone by, and the novelty has well and truly worn off, they still feel the need to pump these pieces of rubbish out. What happened to the real shows? I don't know about America, but here there has been a number of great shows pushed aside and dropped, being replaced by the likes of Survivor, Joe Millionaire, Idol (both American and Australian), Big Brother, The Biggest Loser, and from what I have seen of the ads what has to be the worst of the lot Super Nanny.
When will the insanity stop and good TV be put back on? Please please please see sense, people, and put these shows in their place (the rubbish tip).
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?